Friday, November 23, 2012

Day #21: 3 Weeks in!

It's 12:10 am and top o' the mornin' to ya!  I'm standing at the dawn of day 21 in my 30 day challenge.  (Check out previous posts to get website info if interested).

Thanksgiving was interesting.  I brought Mashed Sweet potatoes (baked sweet potatoes, skinned and whipped, with a little olive oil and cinnamon) and a big spinach salad, my sister brought fruit salad and you know there was turkey galore, so I had no problem staying within the boundaries of my current goal.  The hardest part was probably standing in front of a table of desserts and there not being a single thing I could eat, but even that wasn't all that difficult.  It's getting easier, that's for sure.  There are definitely times when a yogurt sounds really good or I just want to lick the batter off the spoon REALLY BAD, but I want to make it to the end of the 30 days guiltless.  I want to get to the end and see that I was able to control myself every second of every day for 30 days.  They say will-power is a muscle and the more you exercise it the stronger it gets.  I consider this my will-power boot camp.

So, I'm 60% through this thing, and so far I've seen nothing but benefits.  My skin is clearing up, I'm losing less hair in the shower, I have more energy during the day, an easier time sleeping at night.  My general outlook is more positive and confident (although today I was a little moody but I can't expect to be cured in 3 weeks) and my clothes are looser.  I'm hoping that in 10 days I'll be able to wear my wedding ring without the circulation in my finger cutting off.  6 days would be nicer considering we're celebrating our 9 year anniversary next week, but I'll take what I can get.

The weight may not be coming off in leaps and bounds, but 8 pounds in 3 weeks isn't too shabby.  I've been taking walks and just trying to keep active in general, but I haven't been actually working out.  I wanted to see how much I would lose the first 30 days just kind of doing what I was doing but changing up my diet.  I'm going to go for a round 2, though, and I'll add some workouts in there and see what happens.  I consider it my own little experiment.  Not to mention my energy is finally picking up in a way where I feel ready to start working out again.

I'm going to buy the book, "It Start With Food", to help out with the second round.  I need more ideas on things to eat, meals to prepare, etc.  I want this to be a permanent change in my life and I know that in order to achieve that I can't get bored.

If anyone wants to join me for round 2, I'm starting it on December 4th.  Check out the Whole 30 website, get your kitchen ready, and just go!  I know this time of year is probably the trickiest time to begin something like this, but imagine starting the new year ahead of the game instead of 5 pounds behind it.  :-)  You'll feel less sluggish and merrier for the holidays.  If you're anything like me, food has become a big part of most traditions.  Eating this way is causing me to get more creative and find new ways to make the season special that doesn't revolve around food.

December 4th... the saga continues...

No comments:

Post a Comment