"Sit as little as possible. Give no credence to any thought that was not born outdoors while moving about freely."When I start a running routine back up, I usually begin with interval running. I break up my time into 5 minute increments, and then Run for 1 minute to raise my heart-rate, then Walk for 4 to bring it back down. I do this for as many times as it takes to fill up my running time (I usually begin with 20 or 30 minutes so I don't over-exert and get discouraged). I run/walk at least 3 times a week and then walk at least 30 minutes a day for the other 4 (basically my lunch breaks at work). When I'm really out of shape, as I am right now, that minute of running feels like an eternity and the 4 minutes of walking barely feels like enough time to catch my breath before I'm running again. But it's amazing how quickly the body changes and how much it craves that change for good. Consistency is the name of the game, and after 2 weeks, that minute will seem like no big deal.
--Friedrich Nietzsche
As my endurance gets better (usually after 2 weeks) and I get into a routine, I take 1 minute off the walking and add it to the running. So I'm Running 2 minutes and Walking 3. At this point, I also like to take one of the days that I'm run/walking and add 10 or 15 minutes to it, usually on a day off from work. I continue this for 2 more weeks along with the walking on non-running days.
Eventually, the goal is to be running for the entire 30 minutes at least 3 times a week, at which point I add time and days to my running until I'm running nearly every day for at least 30 minutes.
The interval run/walking is not only a great way to break into running, but it also burns more calories. Think of a refrigerator. You use more electricity by opening and closing the door over and over than you do by leaving it open the same amount of time. By raising your heart rate, then letting it fall a little, then raising it again, your body has to work harder and it burns more calories. Easier for beginners, burns lots of calories. Win-Win!
So, Week 1 I will be run/walking 3 days for 25-30 minutes each, and walking for 30 minutes on the other days. Wish me luck! It's hot as a sauna out there, so I might be substituting the great outdoors for a treadmill a couple times. Not ideal for me as I hate running and running and not going anywhere, but it's better than sitting and sitting and my body spreading outwards.
No comments:
Post a Comment