Tuesday, July 16, 2013

A little bit of sunshine...

It's summer and with that comes swimming, barbeques, trips to the zoo, playing until it's dark out, all the things that we dream about during those long winter months (at least here in Rochester, NY).  What do all these activities have in common?  They are outside!  And usually in good weather, with sunshine and birds and fresh air!  Studies have shown for years that 15 minutes of sunshine a day is all you really need to increase levels of Vitamin D in your body.  But for all of us who suffer from SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) it also means an increase in Serotonin, the body's feel-good chemical.  Studies have proven at daily exposure to sunshine will help fight depression.  Here's one!

http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/news/20021205/unraveling-suns-role-in-depression

I once asked an elderly woman I worked with what her secret was to her youthful appearance.  Obviously she had good genes, which don't hurt.  But she was healthy and happy and just radiant from the inside out.  Her 2 tips for me were 1) Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize; and 2) Get outside everyday.  

So, here's my little thought for today brought on by a relaxed, happy feeling after visiting the pool with my kids:  GET OUTSIDE!  I know it's hot... it's summer!  Sweat washes off, wet clothes can be changed.  I'm not even telling you to go exercise, just go sit outside for 15 minutes, soak up some rays, and then go back to your air-conditioning.

Happy Sunny Tuesday, everyone!


No comments:

Post a Comment