Sunday, January 27, 2013

The Optimist Creed

I'm working on the finishing touches of my happiness project starting February.  I'm making my own personal collection of quotes and pictures, stories and books, things that make my happy and inspire me to be better.  I found the creed below written by Christian D Larson, the founder of New Thinking who wrote about 40 books about the power of positive attitude.  I love it and have ordered a small collection of Christian D. Larson material to get me started.  I broke up the creed below into separate points to focus on.  I am going to work very hard this year on getting over my all-or-nothing mentality because I'm starting to understand how much damage this way of thinking does to and for me.  I'm going to work on taking things one step at a time, on not skipping ahead, on improving myself day by day, month by month, year by year.  I know, I hope, I will continue to grow and learn and change until the day my body and spirit depart each other.  I've got my whole life and the only thing that matters is that I'm working in the right direction.  It's the journey, not the destination, that matters.  

The Optimist Creed
“Promise Yourself

1) To be so strong that nothing
can disturb your peace of mind.
2) To talk health, happiness, and prosperity
to every person you meet.

3) To make all your friends feel
that there is something in them
4) To look at the sunny side of everything
and make your optimism come true.

5) To think only the best, to work only for the best,
and to expect only the best.
6) To be just as enthusiastic about the success of others
as you are about your own.

7) To forget the mistakes of the past
and press on to the greater achievements of the future.
8) To wear a cheerful countenance at all times
and give every living creature you meet a smile.

9) To give so much time to the improvement of yourself
that you have no time to criticize others.
10) To be too large for worry, too noble for anger, too strong for fear,
and too happy to permit the presence of trouble.

11) To think well of yourself and to proclaim this fact to the world,
not in loud words but great deeds.
12) To live in faith that the whole world is on your side
so long as you are true to the best that is in you.”
― Christian D. Larson, Your Forces and How to Use Them
Is it a coincidence that there are 12 points?  :-)  I'm going to add one point of this creed to every month of my Happiness Project.  I think it's fitting that I'm devoting February to "Energy" and the first point of the creed is "To be so strong that nothing can disturb your peace of mind." I think they go hand-in-hand, at least for me.  Anyway, just wanted to share.  If anyone would like to create their own happiness project, look at my previous blog post where I gave the link to The Happiness Project website.  
Good Night! 

No comments:

Post a Comment