Friday, April 10, 2015

The Day My Mother Forgot How to Bake Cookies



I walked into the kitchen and my mom stood by the oven, quietly murmuring about something.  She had volunteered to make two dozen chocolate chip cookies for a fundraiser for our church that night.  I remember, as a child, coming into the kitchen after a long day at school or after playing out in the snow for hours, freezing and tired, to the delicious aroma of my mother’s chocolate chip cookies baking.  This time, however, my mother stood glaring at a cookie sheet with one cookie on it.  One GIANT, flat cookie.  It was supposed to have been twelve.  I had lent her my recipe since she couldn’t find or remember the one she had always used.  It’s fairly basic, easy to follow.  I had not thought to monitor or help my mother as she set off to do what she had been doing for more than 50 years. 

I looked over the recipe, the dough still in the mixing bowl, and the enormous melted confection on the oven and attempted to find the problem and, therefore, the solution.  My mother wrung her hands and jabbed at the blobby mess on the tray as I looked over the ingredients I had left for her on the table and what remained.  I came to realize that she had very likely used twice the amount of butter, possibly omitted one of the sugars, and forgotten the baking soda.  The cookies still tasted good, albeit quite buttery.  I will never forget the look on my mother’s face, drawn and dejected, as she realized she had lost the ability to do what she deemed to be a simple task.  I mean, mothers are supposed to be able to bake chocolate chip cookies, right?  Isn’t that, like, Mothering 101?

The previous autumn, while my father (who has Parkinson’s disease) was in the hospital recovering from a triple bypass, my 75 year old mother finally consented to see a neurologist and confirm her worst fear: she had dementia.  Vascular Dementia, to be exact.  Her simple response to the diagnosis of “Oh, darn” had broken all 5 of her adult children’s hearts.  Although we had wanted to get it diagnosed, it wasn’t any easier to have it confirmed.  She reluctantly agreed as the doctor strongly urged her to surrender her driving privileges.  She sat, looking like a small child, as the doctor explained what this diagnosis meant for the rest of her life.

They started her on medication.  The medication was meant to slow the progress of the disease, not cure it.  Since Vascular Dementia is caused by the shrinking of the blood vessels (causing reduced blood flow to the brain), there is no reversing the damage, only slowing its progression.  Vascular Dementia is also different from other forms of memory degeneration, like Alzheimers, in that instead of it being a gradual decent into the disease, it happens in steps.  Tiny (or large) strokes occur along the way, and memories and abilities are lost in chunks instead of drizzling out gradually.  The fact of the matter was it was only going to get worse, and it could get worse very suddenly.  And there’s no telling when that will be, or if the disease will cause other problems.  There’s just no way to know. 

The day she forgot how to bake chocolate chip cookies was a rough one, for her and for me.  I didn’t tell my siblings about it.    My husband, children, and I had moved in with her and my father about eight months earlier, knowing rough times were coming but not having any idea how quickly they would descend.  She has really good days where It’s almost not perceivable- this disease that’s stealing my mother.  Then there are the not so good days.  The days when she’s angry, hostile, frustrated, emotional, forgetful, easily stressed and flustered.  She’ll struggle to zip her coat, or heat up soup, or spell “exterminate” (ecs…..?).  Some days she can’t remember where she has kept the cups for the last fifty years or what the name of her bank is or even what a bank statement is.  Today she dropped dinner all over the floor, shortly followed up by dropping and breaking a dish in the sink.  She leaned her head on her arms on the counter and just sat, trying not to cry. 

We take a lot of deep breaths these days. 

I wish I could say I’m patient with all these changes as my mother and I struggle with the day-to-day.  I wish I could say that I laugh off the insignificant and smile at her quirks and hug her and make her feel better every time she’s hurting.  I wish I could say that I do better than I do.  While my mother is losing her sense of self, I’m losing my mother and I’m not handling it very well.  It’s an experience for both of us… one that I’ll remember and hopefully learn from… one that she’ll someday forget entirely. 

The important thing I try to remember is this disease is not my Mom.  It may be accentuating her worst traits and weeding out her best, but that doesn’t change who she has always been.  On the roughest days this is hard to remember.  On the rough days it’s hard not to go to bed with my thoughts all knotted up wondering how in the world I’m going to help her get through this… how I’M supposed to get through this.  My Dad has rough days, too.  Parkinson’s disease causes dementia as well.  We live in a forgetful house where things are repeated repeatedly and fully comprehended infrequently.  There are a lot of shortened fuses and rising tempers as we navigate this new depth of life we have sunk into.  We try to be patient.  We try to show love when we can.  We try to bestow forgiveness often.

We take a lot of deep breaths these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment