Sunday, June 9, 2013

A quick thought for a Sunday night

"Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time." -Thomas A. Edison

 Life isn't easy.  This is not new information.  We have a lot of ground to cover and the older we get the less time it seems there is.  If I had now the amount of time I had 10 years ago I cannot imagine what I could accomplish.  But, then again, I didn't accomplish much when I had that time.  And 10 years from now I will probably be saying the same thing.

I wear a lot of hats: mother, wife, employee, daughter, sister, friend, consumer, musician, house-keeper, cook, attempted athlete... the list goes on.  And when I attempt to do each of these jobs to the best of my ability I find myself overwhelmed.  But yet I try... again and again I try.  And I fail... again and again I fail.  But failure is a harsh word.  I do not mean it in the way that I have given up or will never succeed.  Failures are just opportunities to learn and grow and change.  A failure is just a word I use for the fact that I haven't found what works for me yet.  And trying again doesn't mean trying the same thing over and over ad nauseum because that would be crazy!  If I keep trying a tactic and it's not working, no matter what angle I come from, then it's not for me and it's time to try something else.

Knowing and doing are two very different things.  And sometimes we know exactly what will work for us, but applying it to our lives is a different story.  This application takes discipline, self-awareness, sacrifice, self-evaluation.  And it takes time.  And sometimes it takes setting it aside for a period, resting and re-evaluating, and then trying again.

I am in a period of my life where I am desperately trying to balance gaining the knowledge I need to live my life to the fullest while trying to apply it at the same time.  I'm 28, I have 2 children, a husband, a job, and to be honest I get overwhelmed often.  There are many things I am not yet good at.  But I am learning there are a lot of things that I am more skilled than I believed initially.  I would have never learned these things about myself if I did not keep trying.  Imagine what else I can learn in the future with a little ambition and day dreaming?

So there's my little message... it seems to be the ongoing theme of this silly little blog.  Never stop trying.  I will never get it perfect.  I will never be perfect.  But if I keep using my time to become a better version of myself, than that's all I can expect.  If I am a better me tomorrow than I was today, I will have succeeded.

Good night, world.  Go to bed and start fresh tomorrow.  Tomorrow is a gift, a new day, a new chance to get it right.

No comments:

Post a Comment